Die Rechte für die Buchreihe Parasol Protectorate von Gail Cairriger sind als Option an eine Produktionsfirma gegangen. Das bedeutet noch keine konkrete Verfilmung, aber es gibt eine Firma, die in den nächsten zwei Jahren eine Realisierung prüfen will. Da heißt es: Daumen drücken!
Gail schreibt zu dem Details in ihrem Blog:
Now, please don’t get too excited . . .
- What is an option? The right to try to raise backing and interest from Talent (writer, director, actor) to try to put together the possibility of some kind of show. In this case a television or mini series.
- Who got it? A small but lovely independent film company out of Ireland has optioned the Parasol Protectorate series for one year with a possibility of re-upping for two years. They are behind such awesome projects as Breakfast on Pluto and Kingdom.
- When? Could be within the next two years, could be never. Unlikely to hit airways for some time. That’s how options work.
- Were? Should the project come together, the pitch would go out to both UK and US film stations, both network and cable. Yes, that would include the BBC but there is no guarantee they would pick it up.
- Why? My suggested pitch was: True Blood meets Downton Abby ~ only funny. We shall see if they use it.
- How? My books have two things working against them, which add up to the same end result. 1. They are set in the past in exotic locals. 2. They have fancy steampunk elements and lots of supernatural special effects. 3. Result = expensive.